Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tales of a Farmer's Market Addict


So, it's still cool enough that we neither need the Air Conditioning on nor get over-heated making food at home. Huzzah! That means I finally get to experiment with my farmer's market treasures from this week. On Tuesday I purchased fresh homemade Pierogies, asparagus, rhubarb, zucchini, strawberries and some plants. Today, Paul and I were both actually home for the same meals, so cooking commenced. First off, I pan-fried the pierogies in some butter with garlic. I decided I was too lazy to wash two pans, so I threw the asparagus into the pan and added a bit more butter.

Turns out, Pierogies and asparagus apparently take the same time to cook, so I lucked out. It looked (and tasted) delicious!

Sprinkled with some parmesan cheese and paired with a local beer, it made for a delicious, locovore lunch!

For dessert, I made my "last meal" dessert of choice: Rhubarb Crisp, just like grandma's!

I sometimes struggle with making a good crisp. I have a tendency to be impatient with the saucy sugar mixture or not make enough of the oatmeal crumble, so it's sometimes a gamble for me to make rhubarb or apple crisp. But this time, it turned out perfectly. So bubbly and delicious, with just the right amount of sweetness in the crumble and the sauce to counteract the sour rhubarb. Yum!

Can you see the bubbling filling sneaking up the sides? So good. I had a piece with vanilla ice cream after it cooled a bit, but while it was still nice and warm. Delish. If you're looking for a decent, easy recipe, this one is pretty good: Rhubarb Crisp. If you like a strawberry-rhubarb crisp (or pie, really, it's the same filling, just with a different crust) it gives instructions at the bottom for subbing in half strawberries. I'm just not a fan of the strawberry-rhubarb mixture.

Ultimately, I feel everyone should take advantage of their location and spend as much time in the farmer's market as possible. For Chicagoans, this helpful link will show you the locations and days of the city's farmer's markets. Spend this summer exploring local foods... you won't believe the delicious results!

No comments:

Post a Comment