I am the first one to admit that I am a "fair weather" knitter. I like quick projects. Not necessarily "easy" projects, but quick. I like to start and finish them in 3 days at the most. I hate weaving in ends, I don't like color changes, and I want things to be mostly useful. That being said. I have completed one afghan for myself (it was crochet, and technically the first thing I ever made... hey, go big or go home) have done a few baby blankets which have taken longer than a few days, and have started (and failed to finish) three sweaters and two other afghans. Yep. I stick to hats, mittens, scarves, bags, and doo dads.
But, I bought this really beautiful cotton yarn and knew I wanted to make something really special with it. It was so soft, and the colors were so rich and pretty. I bought 2 skeins on sale, about 360 yards all together, so that meant my project had to fit those yardage guidelines. I went on Ravelry (my obsession) and entered my criteria (I love an easily searchable pattern site!) and came up with a few options. But, seeing as how everything I'm wanting to craft right now is for Baby Boo, I decided on the cutest pair of knitted bell bottom baby pants. I went with the newborn size, hoping that these will be the perfect size for bringing the little one home from the hospital. They turned out way better than I could imagine, even with all the seaming I had to do on the waistband and around the inseam. Here they are, in all their adorable glory:
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
After doing the Hootie Booties a while ago, I've eased my fears about an owl cable. It's pretty much the easiest cable there is, and looks adorable. So, I found a rad pattern for a mug cozy... I'm totally obsessed with making and using them, though I'm not sure anyone else shares my weird obsession. Anyway, I grabbed a spare half-skein that I've used for two other cozies (told you I had an obsession), and knit it up in an evening. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, too, though next time, I'll be going down a needle size, and also doing 2 fewer ribbing rows at the bottom, so it's not so tall.
And here's a close up of the owl cable. I don't really have any buttons that fit for the eyes, and I haven't yet raided the bead stash, but I sort of like it without the creepy eyes added.
Monday, June 4, 2012
So, as I mentioned in the earlier Bassinet post, I'm making all the sheets for said awesome vintage bassinet. I lucked out today and found some really adorable flannel fabrics at the fabric store. So, I set to work and cut out all the sheet templates, and sewed one up. Here's the result:
Friday, June 1, 2012
I had some left over soft cotton yarn from a failed project. Let's just say the newborn size hat fit my big ol' head. So, I decided I'd use it up and make a washcloth, since I wasn't sure how much yarn was left in the skein. So, after some extensive (by that I mean about 2 minutes worth) research, I found THE pattern.
Come on, it has a goat on it!
It's done in Cottontots yarn and is super soft. I pretty much love it. And it only took me about 2 hours to complete. Yay!