Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Craftstravaganza.

Crafting Inspiration Songs of the day:  "Lay Me Down" by The Frames and "Acoustic Guitar" by the Magnetic Fields

So three days off in a row is a regular luxury for me, which means... craftstravaganza takes over the house.  Poor Paul has to come home to a crazy woman who has lost her mind to the lure of fabric and the hum of the sewing machine!  But I've been ridiculously productive, so here's an overview of the great crafts I've made over the last two days.  

The monster bib:  Monster bib was made for Prego Friend #2, as she is a kooky, tattoo-artist, loving all things video game, monster-y, and goofy lady.  Baby will look adorable in the cute little monster friend, and maybe the drool will end up on the bib instead of the baby! (or the super cute clothes I've given him so far... seriously, people, I go crazy with buying baby things)




The girly-quilt:  Girly quilt was created for Prego Friend #1 who is expecting a little lady this winter.  It's made of cotton flannel, and I was excited to find a remnant of organic soy batting to make it nice and fluffy and warm as well as better for baby's health, avoiding the lovely toxins present in so many textiles.  I free-formed the "blocks" of solid color on the back, making a kind of tetris-y pattern that I ended up loving.  I was especially excited about how well it came out due to it only being my second attempt at quilting!  The "quilted" part is pretty simple-- I just followed the lines of the fabric blocks with a zig-zag stitch.  This was decided after several failed attempts at curved-line quilting!  




The froggie gown:  Here is the finished product of the froggie gown with the successful stamp.  Seriously, everyone I know is reproducing, so I'm in full gear with baby-item production.  I usually hit up the thrift store for items in good shape that are just in need of some love.  This gown was a gross barely-blue with some staining around the collar.  I gave it a dye-bath in black, but it turned out this nice charcoal-y gray.  Then came the little stamped friend!  I'm getting pretty good with the rubber block stamps.  It was an evolution from the stenciling so that I could have a re-produceable product.  I have all kinds of ideas in mind for this little friend!  



Suzanne's Bag:  This is a bag made specifically for a woman I work with.  I've made quite a few little bags for myself and for friends, and when she saw them, she immediately asked me for a "horse bag."  Okay, I don't do horses.  I don't draw them, I don't ride them, and I don't particularly get along with them.  But I love Suzanne, so I went on the search for the perfect horse fabric... it sounds weird, and led to weird things.  There's some seriously ugly horse fabric out there, my friends!  But I  stumbled across this nice brown corduroy with embroidered horses on it, which was by far the least distressing fabric I had found, so I brought it home.  I had the liner fabric already, left over from making children's dress-up clothes for work, and it had that "western" feel, so I went with it.  Even though I'm not a horse fan, I'm a fan of this bag, and I hope Suzanne will love it.  I'll find out tomorrow!   (And no comment's on my modeling skills!)





  
 





My next installment will be "the great pumpkin experiment" where I take crappy, fake, dollar-store pumpkin "decor" and paint it, glitter it, and hopefully turn it into a fabulous halloween centerpiece... cross your fingers, people.  Sarah's playing with glitter, and that's always a risky endeavor!  

No comments:

Post a Comment